We need to help our students to develop self-discipline. Obviously, this is something they have to do, but we can help. Time management is a key tool in building self-discipline.
Self-discipline is “the ability to make yourself do things you know you should do even when you do not want to” (Cambridge Dictionaries Online)
- Set realistic deadlines for big tasks and projects;
- Break down big tasks into sub-tasks, with sub-deadlines and check-ins.
- Give good advance warning for tests.
- Promote the use of To Do lists, with actionable first steps.
- Encourage them to plan for down time.
Dealing with Social Media
Social Media are a major waste of time due to their addictive nature. So students should:
- Recognise that social media is an addictive distraction if not managed;
- Use time on social media as a fun reward for having completed tasks and duties.