Our students often speak and write in a superficial manner that is an indication of lazy thinking. We need to promote deeper engagement with ideas. Instead of using AND to join a series of unsubstantiated ideas, students should be encouraged to use BECAUSE, BUT and SO.
- Because to suggest WHY
- But to introduce an opposing idea
- So to explore the results
You can practise this yourself by thinking of report comments that are more meaningful, eg:
- Her term 2 mark is disappointing because…
- She has worked diligently all term but…
- She struggles to focus in class so...